Carrot and pea risotto
- 10 oz Rice
- 3 carrots
- 7 oz fresh peas
- 1 onion
- ½ cup white wine
- vegetable stock to taste
- 2 oz grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 2 oz butter
- salt t. t.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Peel and clean the carrots, then cook them in boiling water until tender. Let them cool and cut into small pieces.
Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and saute the chopped onion. Add rice and toast for a few minutes. Add the white wine, carrots and peas.
Add a couple ladelfuls of hot vegetable stock and stir. Continue adding stock as it is absorbed by the rice, stirring gently. Continue until the rice is cooked.
Turn off the heat and stir in butter and grated Parmigiano Reggiano.
How to prepare risotto.
There are three important steps to making risotto:
- toasting the rice: Sauté chopped onions in a pot with butter. Then add the rice and turn up the heat to “toast” the rice, causing it to absorb the fat and become translucent. Normally, one adds a splash of white wine and allows it to evaporate.
- cooking the rice: Keep the pot over medium heat and add boiling stock, a little at a time as it is absorbed by the rice. Stir often.
- finishing the rice: After the rice is done cooking, add the butter and grated Parmigiano Reggiano (if the recipe calls for it) and stir to create the creamy texture, typical of risotto. It should be neither too liquid, nor too dry.